Thursday, March 31, 2011

Blog Post # 10

Lectures are useless

An-Open-Letter-To-Educators This article by Morgan Bayda and the video by Dan Brown does has a lot of truth about universities and the way professors lecture. Morgan talks about how she felt cheated while attending college. I also have felt cheated while attending college. I know that some classes will be lecture based type classes, however professors should encourage students to express their opinions. I had this one professor who did not allow students to talk, especially among eachother. If we, the students didn't understand a particular math problem the professor would say you guys should already know this stuff, which made students afraid to ask questions because they didn't want to be embrassed in front of the class. I felt embrassed a couple of times because I would ask questions.

I enjoy my EDM 310 Class it allows me to engage in the learning process. In the beginning when I made mistakes about how to add the ATL Modifier and TITLE Modifier the process of doing the alt and title in every blog I learn quickly because of the hands on skills. The video by Dan Brown has some great points one in particular is professors losing sight of Education. Dan says that education is not about conforming to the world, but about the creativity, new ideas, and empowering students. I think that many professors don't realize that they must help to empower the learning of their students.

                                                                  
cry2boy
Don't Let Them Take Pencils Home
I enjoyed reading this post. It was funny and I notice the sarcasm. I believe that educators like Gertrude uses quotes like "It is what it is" as an excuse not to find a solution to solve the issues that occur. Educators often times already have a prejudgement attitude toward their students. For example how Gertrude talks about low income area students. If there is a problem educators should help to eliminate the problem, trying to justfiy the problems does not help anyone especially the students. If a child is writing, drawing, or sketching with a pencil I view this as an example of learning.

2 comments:

  1. Shirley, your Bayda post was very good, but for the Johnson see this:
    From Dr. Strange: It seems that you did not understand that Tom Johnspn's post Don't Let Them Take the Pencils Home was a metaphor in which pencils were computers. I will complete my post Metaphors: What They Are and Why We Use Them (A Learning Opportunity) later this week. After this post appears on the Class Blog you will be required to leave a comment. Watch the Class Blog for further instructions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed and agreed with you about sometimes feeling cheated.I really was interested in what you were saying about being in your math class where they do not want you to ask questions.I was really interested in reading about your math class,because I am a math major.I think the key to being a good teacher is being aware of our students needs not what we think they should need.I agree that we need to be part of the solution not the problem.

    ReplyDelete