Saturday, March 26, 2011

Blog Post # 9

 plaque expressing what a teacher does
Mr. McClung gave some great insight as to what he learned during his first year as a teacher. The first title is How to Read the Crowd. McClung talks about how he had observed that most teachers do not make their lessons student centered, and that teachers are more concern about the deliever of the content rather than the main aspect which is the students comprehension. I don't believe teachers can be successful in the classroom if they do not put the interest of the students first. Teachers should have the mindset that the main goal is what's best for the students not what's best for themselves.

Be Flexible:
In this article McClung says that instructors like to plan the perfect lesson plan. I say there is no perfect lesson plan. McClung talked about how he tried to control things to much. I'm sure there will be days when the lesson taught will be a disater. McClung said he would beat himself up over lessons and activities that did not work, he goes on to say that he doesn't let it get to him anymore. As a future teacher I may have lessons and activites that don't go as well as I expected and when this happens I will view the sitituation as an opportunity to reevaluate myself and the material I taught.

Communicate: McClung talks about communication he describes communication as the best medicine. I agree without communication their is no relationship. Teachers can make communications helpful by giving advice about former students or situations. I want to be a teacher whose students know they can come and discuss issues they don't understand or need better clarity about.

Be Reasonable: I agree that some teachers do hold high expectations for students. McClung talks about how some teachers become upset with students when they fail. Teachers should never make a student feel like a failure. McClung says that teacher set students up for disappointment when a goal is not met. I can relate to this as a parent, but I do exactly what McClung suggested I tell my daughter that it's okay and that she will make it next time. This is what I would do with my students, if I don't I think students would not try as hard. Students need to hear that it okay if they did meet a particular goal or get the grade of an A or a B.

Don't Be Afraid Of Technology: McClung explains that adults view technology as a horrible computer that is taking over the world. I am an older adult and yes there is alot of new technology in our world today, but I am willing and eager to learn. I don't want to give up on something simply because I don't understand it. Technology has made life much easier.

Listen To Your Students: McClung is right, sometimes teachers are the only person who listens to students. Teachers truly don't know what's going on in students lives once they leave their classroom, that's why it's important that teachers open their ears and become active listeners to all of their students.

Never Stop Learning: McClung talks about how it's never to late to change the way we think, learn or even the style. I think that when we stop learning we stop living. Everyday of our lives is a learning experience. Teachers, students and parents should always know that learning is a never ending process. I too am looking forward to having a magical first year of teaching.

3 comments:

  1. Great picture choice! I plan on coming back to read this post as a result of it! The power of images speaks again. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Shirley, I think that our blog post 9 assignment was very informative in a positive way. Just to have access to the experiences of a first year teacher and the opportunity to take advantage of the wisdom gained through Mr. McClung's experiences is invaluable. I am very pleased at the network of educators I have been plugged into in our EDM310 class. I know that it will be advantageous to us as future educators and very useful in times of challenges. Good post. Nice photo :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done! As you can see from the readings this week Mr. McClug is even a better teacher in Year 3.

    ReplyDelete