Saturday, April 30, 2011

Blog Post # 14

metaphor

1. I missed the metaphor in Tom Johnson's post because I took the assignment to serious. I didn't know that phrases like food for thought was actually called metaphors. I have to say as I read the article I was puzzled why a teacher didn't want students to take pencils home.

2. Food for thought, apple of my eye, you light up my life are metaphors I often use when talking with my daughter. When my mom was in ICU for two weeks and had a ventilator once she was out of ICU and off the ventilator, I remember telling my sister "hearing mom's voice was music to my ears".

3. As educators we can help students to understand metaphors by teaching students a lesson about metaphors, and ask students if they can give examples of metaphors to see if the students really understand what a metaphor is. I don't recall learning metaphors when I was in school. I happy to say now that I understand what a metaphor is and why it is used.

4. I think that metaphors are used as a way to understand what is acutually being said. Using metaphors helps readers visualize or see what happens in a story or poem.

No comments:

Post a Comment