Saturday, February 5, 2011

Blog Post # 3





A Vision of Students Today
In my experience community college classes are much smaller than Universitiy classes. Tuition is double the rate at universities and the classes require more work in the prerequsite classes. At an community college books are rented out to students usally for thirty dollars per book. At the University a student will pay around one hundred eighty-three dollars for a math book and two hundred for a science which helps contribute to the debt of most college students.
Students attend college obtain a degree,and can not find a job in their field of work, or get a job in their field of knowledge but does not excel on the job. I am a hands on learner. I really enjoy my EDM 310 class because as a student one learns by experiencing.
I would have like to have seen the students actually talking about their situation among other students instead of using the flash card method.


"It's Not About the Technology
I agree with Ms. Hines completely. I feel that as future teachers it's not about how we learn that is so important, it's what we are learning. Teachers have mandatory workshops to learn new ideas and strategies that will hopefully improve the interest and academic standards for students. Teachers attend these workshops but few go back into the classroom and use these ideas and strategies effectively.

Hines is absoultely right. Learning and teaching are not the same. I did some observation at a local school here in Mobile for a class last semester. The teacher was teaching the students about homophone words and which word to use correctly in a sentence. A few of the students seemed to understand but most of the students did not understand the concept. The teacher says to the class"okay wait let's try this from the beginning again". I saw that as a teaching moment.

Hines is also right, why spend thousands of dollars on technology equipment when some teachers do not put the effort to learn the technology. what happen to the plain old chalk and chalkboard method. Teachers can not go wrong using this method.


Is It Okay To Be A Technologically Illiterate Teacher?
All educators should have some basic knowledge of technology capability. Reading this list given by Fisch makes me think about the issues of technology differently. The statement I was never good at math is one I have used several times. I now see this as being a double standard towards math and as well as technology. The technology is here why not learn the techniques.

We as teachers must have a positive attitude about the new technology change. If we don't know how to use this technology what better way to learn by experiencing this new challenges with the students. Everyone wins the students achieve the lesson given and the teachers meet the goal that is expected of the students.


Gary Hayes Social Media Count
These numbers are changing at an astouding rate. It's almost scarey to think that technology moves this fast. As a future teacher I will probably dream about my job im my sleep. I now realize that technology never stops, it's an ongoing process.

1 comment:

  1. Shirley,

    You say, "What happen to the plain old chalk and chalkboard method?" Then you say, "All educators should have some basic knowledge of technology capability."

    Exactly what role do you think technology should play in the classroom? There is no right or wrong answer! I just encourage you to find an opinion that you can stand firm on!

    - Allie

    ReplyDelete